If it ain't broke...

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Energizer Bunny

If the Energizer Bunny went to Kindergarten, he would look something like this Image hosting by Photobucket
That has been Reed this week at bedtime. I am at my wit's end. We are all so sleep deprived at this point, that I'm not sure I could even tell you the date. The days are all starting to blur together. See, Reed doesn't seem to have the ability to turn himself off at the end of the day. His batteries just won't run down so he can recharge a bit. It doesn't matter what time he goes to bed, he never gets to sleep before 10, and it's often going on midnight before he finally crashes. Some mornings he's up again by 5. Some mornings, I awake to find him curled up in my desk chair, or on the edge of my bed (remind me some day to tell you the funny story of the night I pushed him off onto the floor because I thought he was the cat hogging the covers). Although he slept through the night consistently from the ages of 3 weeks old to 2 1/2, it's not so guaranteed now. And when he can't sleep, he needs something to do. Last night's something was painting his entire body with peanut butter. Head to toe. If I wasn't so mad that he'd made a gigantic mess and wasted an entire jar of peanut butter, it would have been hilarious. Those two sheepish eyes peering out of the 1/2" thick layer of gooeyness. It took 20 minutes in the shower to get it all off, and I had to wash his pj's twice to get rid of the smell of peanut butter (and you don't even want to hear about the meltdown he had because I wouldn't let him stay up and wait for his favorite pajamas to be clean).

I bought him a scented oil air freshener with a lavender and chamomile fragrance in the hopes of helping him to wind down a bit at bedtime. So far, it's helping a little, but he doesn't seem anywhere near ready for sleep yet (after going to bed an hour and a half ago). At least he hasn't broken anything. Yet. Or dumped out the cat food (which, incidentally was Monday night's something to do). In. His. Bed. Argh!

*sigh* Well, time to go do some laundry. It's only a matter of time before I'll have to go intervene in one of his nighttime schemes, so I may as well get productive first.

2 comment(s):

Steph another great picture. I love it! Too funny! Sorry about the lack of sleep on both ends. Do you think it could be the fact that winter has been tough and he has a a lot of energy, because he is inside more now? I chase the kids around the house in 10 minute intervals throughout the day. They love it and it wears them down.

Kristin

By Blogger Mom to Mr. Handsome, at 8:30 PM  

Know of anywhere I can order a child-sized hampster wheel? I'm not even convinced THAT would help! LOL He's like this year-round, even in the summer when he's runnning, climbing, and screaming to his little heart's content. I'm considering taking MOM-NOS's suggestion to his pediatrician and trying Melatonin.

By Blogger Steph, at 9:05 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home