If it ain't broke...

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Birth of a file

I did something very sad today. I started a file for Owen. Reed already has a file, but I was hoping Owen would escape the plethora of appointments that necessitate such a move. Reed’s file is around 2 inches thick, and includes copies of all the testing he’s had, relevant information sheets to his diagnosis, personal information (social security card, birth certificate), and anything else that may come in handy at a doctor’s appointment or school meeting. It’s come in handy more times than I can count, and it goes with me everywhere. Since starting the file, doctors have taken me more seriously, and things get done much quicker. Office staff have praised me for my efficiency (the file is organized by category, allowing me to jump to any document at will). It feels good to be in control of something.

I received the report from Owen’s speech therapist today. Since he will be starting ST next week, I decided it was time for him to have his own file. A place to stash referrals, reports, and the like. It was a sad decision. I am in mourning of the loss of his normalcy. I had hope, for a while, that he might be lucky and evade the life of chaos that plagues his brother.

The silver lining is that the therapist believes his stint in ST will be short. The report sums it up nicely: “should respond well to early intervention”. Hoo-Rah.

1 comment(s):

Steph,

HOOOORAY!!!! Great news on the speech front! Yippee! I'm so glad to hear that.


Kristin

By Blogger Mom to Mr. Handsome, at 8:09 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home